Sunday, October 16, 2005

The Rose


Mme Meilland

I was so enchanted by the new growth on my roses this morning that I promised myself that I would take a little time write.
I have popped into Tea, Tree and Quills for a quiet reflect and for the space to do a little writing.
I would like the Morrocan Mint Tea and the Scones with Blackberry Jam. My mouth is watering as I wait.


Ah, the Rose!
I liken the rose to our journeys through life.
The absolute beauty of the bloom
From the very formal
To the loose petals of the old style roses
There are those that have a rich full perfume
Others despite their beauty have none
Many have very sharp thorns
A prick can be painful
As there is poison in the thorn
Some are almost thorn free
Roses give forth blooms
for almost 6 months of the year
They love to be fed and nourished
And can survive without much water
They respond well to vigorous pruning
During the stagnant stage of their cycle
I have been in love with roses for many a year. I remember the first time I discovered the rose garden in the Sydney Botanical gardens. I also recollect wandering around acres of rose gardens at the country Victorian town of Redcliffs. I have gratitude for the rose who has shown me so much.

First Love

5 Comments:

At 1:24 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

I absolutely and utterly adore roses. Also adore wandering around amongst them. They are divine. Thanks for sharing this.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

How beautiful - I miss my rose bushes, but unfortunately I had to leave them behind when I moved to Queensland. Never mind, I shall have more, and in the meantime I can admire yours!

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger le Enchanteur said...

The rose is my favourite as well Leonie. I have many roses myself and marvelled at them climbing everywhere in England. A lovely post. Enjoy your roses this Spring!

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger Lois said...

Yes Leonie one has to go to Victorian country towns to fully appreciate the most beautiful roses ...I have been to many
Portland-- (This is the best in Victoria)
Mildura
Wangaratta
Horsham.
& many of the local botanical gardens in the state

I have an arbour in the centre of my backyard with 2- 50 yr old red climbers and one pink with yellow centre planted some 4 years ago ...The older ones are about to come into bloom..very small but beautiful.....
Lois (Muse of the Sea)

and as you say they require little TLC the less the better.

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Leonie Bryant said...

Thanks for all your beautiful comments. It seems we all share a love of these beautiful and diverse creatures.
I have enjoyed each of the stories you have shared as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>