Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Rose continued

I am back again this morning to have another cuppa and write once more. Imogen, I loved those scrumptious scones and blackberry jam.

I have a desire to pass onto my little grandchildren something of my loves, the garden and my artistic interests. I am a little reticient in finding the space for promoting and speaking of these things, however, one cannot underestimate what happens in the ordinary day to day activities.

A few months ago, I was out walking with my 4 year old grand daughter, Shani. She is an outdoors girl and loves rocks, trees and sticks. As we walked along the footpath, she was touching all the plants as we passed by. I had to show her which were the roses, so she wouldn't prick herself on the thorns. Apparently, she learnt her lesson well. Later on her Mother asked me if I had shown Shani which plants were roses, as she was pointing them out to her.

Yesterday was a gorgeous warm spring day, so Shani and I were out the front enjoying the sunshine. Imagine my delight when she squatted down in front of my Mme Meilland rose bush and said, "I really like your beautiful roses, Nanna". What an experience to treasure! My heart was almost bursting.

3 Comments:

At 12:24 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

I love this story. She will never forget this now you've taken the trouble to show her. Just lovely. I had some 50 year old roses in the garden of a beautiful old house I lived in and they never let me down. Each season, with little fuss, they bloomed and bloomed, lavish golden yellow and crimson. In someone's yard this morning I saw a mass of deep apricot ones! So rare, almost luminous. Shani will no doubt look out for roses too from now on. Just lovely. I'm just mad about them.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Leonie Bryant said...

Thanks Imogen, you obviously share my passion. Many of my roses have been grown from cuttings. But this year I bought myself a Just Joey, which is a gorgeous apricot. It has a very large bloom, flowers profusely and has a wonderful perfume as well.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

I do. They are magnificent flowers. I can just smell the perfume now. Gorgeous apricot colours. Sigh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>